Diving Beetles of Thailand Project
Contributors / About us
This project is carried out by Wisrutta Atthakor (Srinakharinwirot University, Bangkok, Thailand) and Michael Balke and Lars Hendrich, ZSM Munich based on a DFG funded initiation of international cooperation project. Helena Shaverdo (Naturhistorisches Museum Vienna, Austria) joined as a taxonomic expert and supports training and capacity building.
We are taxonomists and ecologists (and much more beyond that) and we do have the vision that both disciplines can interact very well and both can benefit tremendously from each other.
We are also dedicated to capacity building, true scientific exchange and promoting parataxonomists and paraecologists (or citizen scientists if you want to call them so) by using our expertise couple with new technology that everybody can use.
Some of our ideas have been summarised in this Biodiversity Journal Paper:
Genus Copelatus Erichson, 1832
Genus Lacconectus Motschulsky, 1856
Lacconectus basalis Sharp, 1882
Genus Sandracottus Sharp, 1882
Genus Leiodytes Guignot, 1936
Genus Hyphydrus Illiger, 1802
Genus Microdytes J. Balfour-Browne, 1946
Microdytes maculatus (Motschulsky, 1860)
Genus Laccophilus Leach, 1815
Genus Neptosternus Sharp, 1882
Our project outcomes
Atthakor W, Hendrich L, Sangpradub N, Balke M (2018) Diving beetles of the Sakaerat Biosphere Reserve, Nakhon Ratchasima Province, with four new records for Thailand (Coleoptera, Dytiscidae). Spixiana in press
And a paper, not on Thailand, that was compiled with Wisrutta whilst working with us at ZSM, for training purposes:
Megna YS, Atthakor, W, Manaono M, Hendrich L, Balke M (2017). A new species of Copelatus Erichson, 1832 (Coleoptera: Dytiscidae: Copelatinae) from the Adelbert range of Papua New Guinea. The Australian Entomologist 44(1), 49-55.
Papers specifically mentioning Thailand in the title (list kindly compiled by Dr Hans Fery, Berlin)
- Balke, M. & Mazzoldi, P. 2003: Dytiscidae: VIII. New records of Rhantus suturalis (MacLeay) from China, and report of a melanistic form from Thailand (Coleoptera), pp. 205–210. – In: Jäch, M.A. & Ji, L. (eds): Water Beetles of China Vol. III. – Wien: Zoologisch-Botanische Gesellschaft in Österreich and Wiener Coleopterologenverein, 572 pp.
- Biström, O. 1984: Hyphydrus dismorphus sp.n. from Thailand (Coleoptera, Dytiscidae). – Annales Entomologici Fennici 50: 21–22.
- Biström, O. 1999: Hydrovatus wewalkai n.sp. described from Thailand (Coleoptera, Dytiscidae). – Entomologica Fennica 10: 179–181.
- Biström, O. & Satô, M. 1988: A new Hyphydrus species (Coleoptera, Dytiscidae) from Thailand. – Bulletin of the Biogeographical Society of Japan 43(9): 47–49.
- Brancucci, M. 1987: A new Lacconectus from Thailand (Coleoptera, Dytiscidae). – Aquatic Insects 9(2): 93–95.
- Brancucci, M. & Gusich, V. 2004: The genus Lacconectus Motschulsky, 1855, in Thailand, with a description of two new species (Coleoptera, Dytiscidae). – Entomologica Basiliensia 26: 105–112.
- Rocchi, S. 1986: Ditiscidi di Birmania, Thailandia e Sri Lanka, con descrizione di due nuove species. – Bollettino della Società Entomologica Italiana, Genova 118: 31–34.
- Wang, L.-J., Satô, M. & Yang, P.-S. 1998: Note on the genus Leiodytes Guignot (Coleoptera, Dytiscidae) with three new species from Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam. – Japanese Journal of Systematic Entomology 4: 161–171.
- Wewalka, G., Balke, M., Hájek, J. & Hendrich, L. 2005: Two new species of Anginopachria Wewalka, Balke & Hendrich from Malaysia and Thailand (Coleoptera: Dytiscidae). – Koleopterologische Rundschau 75: 45–51.
- Sites, R.W. & Vitheepradit, A. 2010: Recovery of the freshwater lentic insect fauna in Thailand following the tsunami of 2004. – The Raffles Bulletin of Zoology 58(2): 329–348.
More general works covering the region
- Balke, M., Jäch, M.A. & Hendrich, L. 2004. Coleoptera. – In: Yule, C.M & Yong, H.S. (Eds), Freshwater Invertebrates of the Malaysian Region. Akademi Sains Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, pp. 555-609.
- Balke, M. & Hendrich, L. 1999. Singapore Water Beetles Tell a Story. – Nature Watch (Singapore) 7 (1): 14-17.
- Balke, M., Hendrich, L. & Yang, C.M. 1999. Water beetles (Coleoptera: Dytiscidae) in the nature reserves of Singapore. – Proceedings of the Nature Reserves Survey Seminar, Garden´s Bulletin Singapore 49 (1997): 321-331.
- Hendrich, L., Balke, M. & Yang, C.M. 2004. Aquatic Coleoptera of Singapore: Species richness, ecology and conservation. – The Raffles Bulletin of Zoology 52, 97-145.